Thursday, October 20, 2011

Inspiration Station

Color photograph of Jon Scieszka National Ambassador for Young People's LiteratureThis week I had the opportunity to attend a fabulous writer's conference where I heard Jon Scieszka speak. You know of Mr. Scieszka, don't you? Let me remind you who he is. In 2008, Jon Scieszka (rhymes with Fresca) was appointed to a two-year term as the first National Ambassador for Young People's Literature in the United States. I saw the pics of him with President Bush and First Lady Laura. It happened. Believe it. Soooo awesome, yes? You may know him better as the author of The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, Knucklehead, The Stinky Cheese Man, and more.

Anyway, Jon talked about his life and growing up with his brothers. HILARIOUS STUFF! I can so relate because I remember nuggets of things that happened to me as a kid that ended up (or will end up) in my stories. I also look back at the childhood years of my own kids and the silly situations they went through. More HILARIOUS STUFF!

Well, WIT-ty people, young and old, like or not, things will happen to you. They may be funny, serious, upsetting, dramatic, sad, or happy, and guess what? It is all fodder for a book. Think about it.
: )

Guys, be sure to check out Guys Read, a site started by Mr. Scieszka to encourage guys to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment